Ohtel has a high focus on responsible tourism and is committed to showing our dedication to environmental and social sustainability. To ensure that the natural beauty of this country is passed on to future generations, we have an ongoing committed action plan in place to improve our environmental awareness of our team, suppliers, and customers alike.
Our key pillars include:
- Paperless – including digital or contactless check in, scheduled digital reports.
- Energy and Water Efficiency – this is one of our major areas of focus through our HVAC/smart key card systems, LED lightbulbs, motion sensors, cloud based computer systems.
- Food and Beverage – Ohtel focuses on food quality/seasonal and local produce, catering for all dietary requirements. All stock is managed by a stock control method aimed to minimise and restrict wastage. Partnerships are formed with local suppliers and in keeping with our focus on loving local.
- Eco Friendly Products – We work with suppliers that have sustainability as part of their business core, and who focus on reducing their carbon footprint, packaging waste, and natural resource usage. Allbirds – from New Zealand to the world – crafted a revolutionary wool fabric made specifically for footwear. At Ohtel, all our Hosts get their first pair for free and are able to dress sustainably and comfortably at the same time!
- Team – Our team members are one of Ohtel’s top priorities and focus for building a sustainable, productive and happy workforce. We are committed to providing clear progression paths for our team to rise within the company. All team are offered full in-house training and development, as well as many benefits, incentives and opportunities.
- Community – Village Accommodation Group and Ohtel as part of this group has always strived to work closely within the arts, sports, hospice and environmental sectors. Current relationships and partnerships include the Mary Potter Hospice, Wellington Saints Basketball, Tawhiri Festivals (Jazz and International Festival of the Arts), NZ Opera, Royal New Zealand Ballet, Wellington Free Ambulance and Remutaka Conservation Trust.
Village Accommodation Groups commits to the New Zealand Tourism Sustainability Commitment
HE KUPU TARANGI KIA TOITU AI TE TAIPOTANGA
Our Vision: Leading the world in sustainable tourism.
TOITU TE TAIAU. TOITU TE TAPOI. E KOKIRI ANA E AOTEAROA